Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Cast Iron Skillet Meatloaf

I never really make the same thing twice. I use the same basic recipe and then add different things to it, I may hit on the same combination every once in a while. This recipe is designed for a #10 skillet (not a 10 inch skillet) with a lid. The basics by themselves should make a great meatloaf!

Meatloaf Recipe Basics

4 pounds of ground meat. I usually use 1 pound each of beef, veal, pork and bison but my wife likes me to add chicken and/or turkey

About 12 ounces of bread crumbs - I prefer Progresso Italian Style

4 large eggs - 1 egg per pound of meat

8 ounces of tomato sauce - I prefer Hunt's no salt added

1 heaping tablespoon of crushed garlic

1 teaspoon each of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

That's it for the basic ingredients!

-Substitute ingredients

In place of tomato sauce use ketchup or bbq sauce or maple syrup or agave nectar or crushed tomatoes

-Additional ingredients if desired

Add a finely chopped onion or about a half cup of finely chopped mushrooms.

Add 2 tablespoons of whole ground golden flaxseed meal - Bob's Red Mill

Add probably no more than a teaspoon of any of these: parsley, rosemary, thyme, Angostura aromatic bitters (just a few drops), liquid smoke, crushed red pepper (dry or fresh), chili powder, hot sauce

Mix it all together very well! I use a 6 quart pot and my hand. Stuff it into a well seasoned #10 cast iron skillet place lid on it. Cook in 350 degree oven for about an hour - if using chicken or turkey cook for about an hour and a half or until the internal temperature is 180 degrees.

My family (4 of us) usually eats only about 1/4 of this then we cut it up into 3 more pieces - 2 of which we freeze for later use and 1/4 we refrigerate for sandwiches the next couple of days. If you can't tell with all the spicy stuff I've listed my family likes a little spice in things. They don't like as much spice as I do but I'm getting them there. I don't use all of the spicy stuff at the same time but I might use 2 or 3 of them depending on my mood.



No comments:

Post a Comment