Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Seasoning Cast Iron - My Way UPDATE

Seasoning Cast Iron - My Way UPDATE

In my studies of seasoning and cleaning cast iron I have some new information to impart here about what I've learned with a little closer scrutiny of my techniques.

1. I said in my earlier post that you could probably use less time for seasoning than I was using and the answer is yes indeed you can use less time as I'm now down to one hour and getting the same results.

2. If you leave the Crisco on the stove top to melt for too long then you will get a sticky seasoning when you are done and this is not the desirable results at all. So keep the melting temperature of the Crisco low and take it off the burner as soon as it is melted.

3. Do not leave the cast iron for more than 5 minutes before wiping off the excess Crisco as this will cause streaking and again this is not an ideal look for the finished product.

Hope these new suggestions improve your finished showpiece cast iron cookware.


No comments:

Post a Comment